Your immune system becomes activated when your body recognizes anything that is foreign—such as an invading microbe, plant pollen, or chemical. This often triggers a process called inflammation. Intermittent bouts of inflammation directed at truly threatening invaders protect your health.
What does an anti-inflammatory diet do?
Many major diseases that plague us—including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, depression, and Alzheimer’s—have been linked to chronic inflammation.
Food that causes inflammation
Try to avoid or limit these foods as much as possible:
- Refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and pastries
- French fries and other fried foods
- Soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages
- Margarine, shortening, and lard
An anti-inflammatory diet should include these foods:
- Olive oil
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, and collards
- Nuts like almonds and walnuts
- Fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and oranges
Benefits of anti-inflammatory foods
Fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, apples, and leafy greens are high in natural antioxidants and polyphenols—protective compounds found in plants
To reduce levels of inflammation, aim for an overall healthy diet. If you’re looking for an eating plan that closely follows the tenets of anti-inflammatory eating.
In addition to lowering inflammation, a more natural, less processed diet can have noticeable effects on your physical and emotional health. “A healthy diet is beneficial not only for reducing the risk of chronic diseases but also for improving mood and overall quality of life
How can I reduce inflammation fast?
12 Easy Ways to Reduce Inflammation Overnight
- Eat a salad every day. …
- Avoid getting hangry. …
- Spice things up. …
- Take a break from alcohol. …
- Swap one coffee for green tea. …
- Be gentle to your gut. …
- Consider a fast. …
- Cut out dairy and gluten (temporarily).
What are the top 10 foods for inflammation?
Top 10 foods that fight inflammation
- Berries, including blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and more.
- Salmon, tuna, and other fatty fish (yes, sardines, too).
- Nuts, including walnuts and almonds.
- Olive oil, especially extra virgin olive oil.
- Peppers, including bell and chili peppers.
What are the 5 classic signs of inflammation?
Inflammation is how your body responds to infection. Five cardinal signs characterize this response: pain, heat, redness, swelling, and loss of function.
How do I know if my body has inflammation?
Symptoms of inflammation include:
- A swollen joint that may be warm to the touch.
- Joint pain.
- Joint stiffness.
- A joint that doesn’t work as well as it should.
Why is my body inflamed?
The most common reasons for chronic inflammation include Autoimmune disorders, such as lupus, where your body attacks healthy tissue. Exposure to toxins, like pollution or industrial chemicals. Untreated acute inflammation, such as from an infection or injury.